While we can certainly gain wisdom as we get older, there are many things that people dread about aging. Beyond health problems, financial concerns or a loss of independence, it is also common for adults to fear the physical changes that occur with the march of time. In fact, the face can suffer some of the most visible impacts of the natural aging process. Here is a closer look at what happens to our facial appearance as we age, as well as how we can help reverse these changes at the Beverly Hills Center.
What Happens to Our Facial Skin as We Age?
As we age, several changes occur in our facial skin that are a natural part of the aging process. Some of the most common changes that occur in facial skin as we age include:
- Thinning of the skin: As we age, our skin becomes thinner and loses some of its elasticity. This can lead to a more fragile appearance and can make wrinkles and fine lines more apparent.
- Loss of fat: The fat that helps to give our face its youthful fullness can also begin to disappear as we age. This can cause our skin to sag and create a more hollow appearance.
- Reduced collagen production: Collagen is a protein that helps to keep our skin firm and elastic. As we age, our bodies produce less collagen, which can lead to wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin.
- Increased dryness: As we age, our skin becomes less able to retain moisture, which can lead to dryness, flakiness, and rough patches.
- Age spots and discoloration: Sun damage can cause age spots and discoloration to appear on our skin, particularly on areas that have been exposed to the sun such as the face, neck, and hands.
- Decreased cell turnover: As we age, the rate at which our skin cells turnover slows down. This can lead to a dull, uneven complexion and a buildup of dead skin cells.
It is no surprise that these inevitable changes can contribute to an aged appearance that can often affect our confidence and self-esteem. Fortunately, the Beverly Hills Center offers a variety of cosmetic treatments to help to minimize the effects of aging on our facial skin. A proactive skincare approach at the first signs of aging can be very effective for delaying or slowing down the aging process within the facial skin.
How Can a Facial Plastic Surgeon Help?
Dr. Ben Talei is an elite facial plastic surgeon that can help improve the signs of aging through a variety of surgical and non-surgical procedures. Some of the most common procedures used to address the signs of aging at our Beverly Hills clinic include:
- Facelift: A facelift is a surgical procedure that helps to lift and tighten the skin on the face and neck. It can help to reduce sagging skin, jowls, and deep wrinkles.
- Blepharoplasty: Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery, is a surgical procedure that can help to reduce the appearance of sagging or puffy eyelids, which can make you look tired or older.
- Brow lift: A brow lift is a surgical procedure that can help to lift the eyebrows and smooth out forehead wrinkles.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers, such as hyaluronic acid or collagen, can be injected into the skin to help fill in wrinkles, lines, and hollow areas on the face.
- Botox: Botox is a popular non-surgical treatment that can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, lines, and crow’s feet by relaxing the muscles that cause them.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels can be used to remove the outer layer of skin, revealing smoother, younger-looking skin underneath.
- Laser resurfacing: Laser resurfacing can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, sun damage, and age spots by removing the outer layer of skin with a laser.
Ready to improve your aging face? Dr. Talei will work with you to determine the best course of action based on your individual needs and goals. We will consider factors such as your skin type, age, and overall health when recommending treatments to help you regain a confident and youthful complexion. Call Beverly Hills Center today to book your consult.